Monday, December 1, 2014

Little's Lunches

Yum
Happy Monday!! Can you believe it's December already?!
I just returned home yesterday from a whirlwind tour of San Diego and New Orleans that I will fill you in on later, but for now, I thought I'd try something a little different.
I know that packing lunches can sometimes be stressful for parents of little ones, especially if you have a picky eater. It's easy to get stuck in a rut, but I thought it would be fun to share what I pack for my little ones each week when they head off to school. I have to be honest, I have been truly appalled by the choices provided in the cafeteria at my kid's school. I am all for moderation and having treats occasionally, but I've seen enough to make packing a lunch for my kids top priority.
Here's what was in our lunch boxes last week:
Monday: Ham and Cheese spread in flour tortillas, goldfish, berries, veggies and ranch
an applesauce for M and an orange for B packed in these containers
Tuesday: Diced Roasted Turkey, shredded cheese/cheese stick, whole grain crackers, veggies and ranch, cinnamon poached pears packed in our yumbox
Wednesday: Sliced roasted turkey breast and chive cream cheese in a whole wheat pita, cheese sticks, honey wheat pretzel sticks, veggies and dip, an orange for B and a dried fruit snack for M
Thursday: Ham and Cheese Bites (recipe here), whole wheat pita triangles, baby carrots, Pumpkin Granola Muffin, freeze dried apples, cheese stick
 Friday: Thanksgiving lunch at school- Turkey, stuffing, gravy, green beans, cranberry sauce, wheat roll, sweet potatoes and mashed potatoes. The top plate was mine, the bottom plate that's loaded to the brim is for my 8 year old who eats more than I do. He scarfed it down and I think he enjoyed it, but I was not thrilled. It was a special occasion that the kids were excited to share with me and I loved being able to join them at school but I think our boxes look much better than this does!
What do you think is the hardest part of packing lunch for yourself or your kiddos?


3 comments:

  1. This post is right up my ally! I love packing lil' lunches for my little ones...well for Kaia who is eight and I look forward to packing Marlee's who is just 20 months. It's all about variety, color and keeping it fun. We celebrate Meatless Mondays and I too agree about what most public school cafeterias have to offer, Kaia doesn't really like it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn, I'm so glad you liked this one. I think this will be a weekly post from now on ;) You are exactly right about the color, variety and fun! That's what makes them want to jump in instead of turning their nose up at something!!

      Delete
  2. Wow! These look better than any lunch I have had....just yesterday, L was saying how much she was tired of corn dogs. You inspire me, Lauren W!!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet and Spicy Coconut Shrimp Tropical Flatbread

My second entry for Sam's Fresh Salsa Blogger contest only has 8 ingredients, takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish to make an...