Friday, November 14, 2014

Pumpkin Granola Muffins

Yum
A recent recipe contest I entered required the use of canned pumpkin pie filling, an ingredient that I have never used before. Of course, the only size can available at the store was gargantuan, but I figured it would cost me more to run around to different stores trying to find a smaller can so I went ahead and got it anyway. I was not about to let the rest go to waste and came up with a few delicious ways to use the remainder.
I found this recipe for Oh-So-Good Pumpkin Granola Muffins on the Libby website and used it as an opportunity to clean out my pantry. I used what I had on hand and my kids and I were very happy with the results. The muffins aren't overly sweet and they are very hearty.
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups granola with raisins- I had one cup of Gingerbread Granola and one cup of Coconut Mango Quinoa granola, so I mixed them and added a handful of raisins at the end
  • 1 can (30 oz.) LIBBY'S® Easy Pumpkin Pie Mix- minus 1 cup
  • 1/2 cup egg substitute- I used 2 whole eggs
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1/2 cup crushed granola or I used leftover maple glazed pecans for topping
  • I added 2 smashed ripe bananas to make up for the missing pumpkin in the can

  • PREHEAT oven to 400° F. Paper-line 30 muffin cups and spray with non-stick cooking spray

    COMBINE all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Stir in granola. Add pumpkin pie mix, eggs, oil and bananas in another large bowl. Pour pumpkin mixture into flour mixture; stir until just moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle each with crushed granola or pecans.

    BAKE for 15 to 17 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Remove from pans to wire rack; cool slightly. Serve warm or cool to room temperature and place in airtight container.

    FOR OH-SO-GOOD PUMPKIN GRANOLA LOAVES:
    PREHEAT
    oven to 350° F. Spoon batter into two greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pans. Sprinkle with crushed granola. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
    

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Sweet and Spicy Coconut Shrimp Tropical Flatbread

    My second entry for Sam's Fresh Salsa Blogger contest only has 8 ingredients, takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish to make an...